KitchenKnifeGuru logo


What the heck is that long, skinny, vaguely Arthurian sword-thing that sits unused in your knife block? What’s it designed for? Practicing fencing in between kitchen tasks? Ha!

It’s called a honing steel—as well as simply a “steel” or “hone.” When properly applied to an already sharp knife, it will revive its sharpitude—again and again. But it does not sharpen (take off metal). It simply realigns the microscopic teeth (yes, teeth, like a saw) on the knife’s cutting edge.

If your curiosity is peeked, then this is the page for you to begin your journey. . .

The World of Hones and Steels

KitchenKnifeGuru Newsletter

Sign up for news, updates, and promotions on kitchen knives and everything kitchenistic!